[clue-tech] VMWare

grant grant at amadensor.com
Wed Aug 30 13:28:36 MDT 2000

The first time I used it, it did not work.  The virtual network caused
kernel panics.  The more recent version worked great.  I was connecting a
PowerBuilder application running on Win 95 in a virtual machine through
ODBC to a Postgres database running on the host Linux machine.  This was
on a laptop.

Now for the bad news:  Remember that the memory requirements of BOTH os's
are present.  This pigs quite nicely.  Also remember that windows has
several points, especially during boot up that the idle loops are not
kind, and will peg out your cpu for a little bit, even though the virtual
machine appears to be doing nothing.

Now the weird:  The machine had only 96 MB of memory.  By lying to it when
setting up the virtual machine and telling it to set up a virtual machine
with 256 MB I got better performance than Windows natively on memory
hungry applications.  Linux is enough more efficient on handling swap,
that running Windows 95 under VM under Linux does Premeire (video editing
program) betten than Windows 95 natively.  This seems to only apply to
applications that hit the Windows swap file heavily.

Performance was generally acceptable, even on a laptop with 96M of memory
and an AMD K62 366 CPU.  Starting applications is slower, but running is
generally unaffected for business applications.