[clue-tech] VMWare

Craig Magtutu craig at alphatrac.com
Wed Aug 30 14:08:41 MDT 2000

    gary,

    VMWare has performed well for my group at work as well as on my home
machine. most of my experience has been running a guest NT setup within
a redhat host. we have plenty of memory to spare on some boxes at work,
but my home setup struggles a bit when other processes besides VMWare
need extra memory.

    i think you'll find this program pretty fascinating, and worth every
penny. definitely try the demo first, though. i thought i'd also mention
that there are plenty of people on the CLUE list that have experience
with VMWare, so you won't be left wondering too long about any
questions.

    craig

--- gary.l.shapiro at lmco.com wrote:
> I would like to know whether anyone on this list has had experience
using
> VMWare on a Linux-based system. VMWare is software that is supposed to
allow
> the running of a Windows NT OS (and Windows applications) as a
"virtual
> machine" on a host computer running Linux as a base OS, without
resorting to
> dual booting. For anyone who has tried it, how has it performed? What
> problems, if any, have you encountered with it? What do you generally
have
> to give up, in terms of performance, etc., to use this kind of "dual"
OS