[CLUE-Tech] Debian

Timothy C. Klein teece at hypermall.net
Mon Dec 11 20:22:54 MST 2000

Chris,

This was the most frustrating thing for me when switching to Debian, for some
reason.  You can change which Window Manager is started by default with the
command 'update-alternatives --config x-window-manager'.  Debian has a neat
feature, called a virtual package.  X-window-manager is one of these, and
debian keeps a link to the one you pick as your favorite with this program.
That way, anything that asks for a general window manager will get your
preference.  Another such category is editor.

For a personalized solution, you need an .xinit file to tell startx what to
do.  A ver simple one would only contain the line:

exec gnome-session

if you wanted to run gnome.  Another note, for some wierd reason gnome on my
Debian install did not start a window manager the first time.  Had to go into
the gnome control panel and pick one, and then save the session.  Go figure.

As far as getting back to a console, I assume you aren't  starting xdm or gdm
or the like (if you are typing startx).  Have you tried alt-control-f1 to
switch to the first virtual console?  Or am I not understanding the question?
 Usually you leave enligthenment by middle-clicking, the menu that pops up
has log out as the bottom option.

BTW, after about a month or so on Debian now I love it!  I will never go
back.  It took a bit to get used to, as there are some significant
differences between it and RedHat or Suse, but it is very nice.  I couldn't
live without apt now.

HTH, Tim

On Monday 11 December 2000 19:50, you wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have just installed Debian 2.2 with X, enlightenment, and gnome.
> When I boot the system and log in, it goes into enlightenment.
>
> >From here I can no longer seem to get to a command prompt (i.e. log out)
>
> In addition, how do I get x to start gnome when I type startx?
>
> Thanks
>
> Chris Hax

== Timothy Klein       || And what rough beast                   ==
== teece at hypermall.net || Its hour come round at last            ==
== Aufwiedersehen!     || Slouches towards Bethleham to be born? ==
== Aufwiedersehen!     || The beast of Redmond, nothing more.    ==