[CLUE-Tech] Debian

Gary Every gevery at ecentral.com
Sat Dec 16 21:36:15 MST 2000

Two reasons for this:
Either you have default set to 5 (or 4) in your /etc/inittab file(if so,
change it to 3), or there is something like gdm or xdm in your startup
files.
I don't know debian specifically, but the startup files will be found in the
/etc/rc.d, and, if you have it, the /etc/rc.d/init.d or/etc/rc.d/rcx
directory (the x should be replaced with the default setting in your
/etc/inittab).
In those directories, type "grep ?dm *" (if it doesn't  like that, do gdm
instead of ?dm) and it will tell you if that command is present in any of
the scripts. If it is present, edit that script "using your favorite text
editor" and comment out the gdm line (or possible xdm) [gdm stands graphics
display manager, and xdm stands for X display manager]

You can also go to the command prompt by holding down your Ctrl-Alt keys,
and pressing F1-F6,