[CLUE-Tech] using Earthlink with Linux

matthew.w.mcillece at lmco.com matthew.w.mcillece at lmco.com
Tue Dec 12 11:22:29 MST 2000

Are you talking about the "kppp" entry under the "Internet" entry of the KDE menu?  That seems to be easy enough to use.  In fact my friend was actually able to enter his login ID and password into the kppp window and dial up one of his local Earthlink numbers with it last night.  He says he heard the dialtone and the modem dialing and the squawking of the connection negotiating, but then he thought he heard a recorded voice playing.  I had him check the number and try it again and he got the same result.  I couldn't hear it for myself because he only has one phone line.  I tried the number from my house and a modem answered as expected, but it wasn't followed by a voice.  So he's stuck for now.  I may have to get my own modem and try it myself.  (Actually I already have a modem, but it's in the computer he's using which is in another state!)