[CLUE-Tech] using Earthlink with Linux

Jim Intriglia jimintriglia at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 12 12:04:09 MST 2000

Hi Matthew,

----Original Message Follows----
From: matthew.w.mcillece at lmco.com
To: clue-tech at clue.denver.co.us
Subject: [CLUE-Tech] using Earthlink with Linux
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 13:44:09 -0700

I've got a friend who has been using Linux for about 2 months.  He had no
prior computer experience before.  He has signed up with Earthlink for a
dial-up account, but all the info they sent him is for Windows/Mac (except
for his username and password).  He has asked them how to use their service
with Linux and they have told him that he can't use it with Linux, or they
don't support Linux, or something like that.

I was told a few months back that Earthlink uses Linux in-house to provide
their ISP services. I was able to access/talk with one of their tech-support
guys (they do support it) that spoke Linux on the phone when I first
considered using them. Been at least six-months, few problems with their
service.

I know others have used Earthlink with Linux and so I am wondering if there
is any special info he needs to do the same.  He already has a working 56K
modem (I tested it myself using minicom) and a full install of a recent
KRUD.  Can he just use minicom to dial up one of the Earthlink numbers, type
in his username and password, and start up a ppp session?  Or does Earthlink
require more or something different?  (I'd try it myself but I don't have a
dial-up modem that will work in my Linux box and his modem is in another
state.)

When I setup my Linux PC with Earthlink, I just upgraded to RH V6.2 - which
features the nifty GUI-based RH Modem Configurer/Dialer. Via the
configurator, I was up and running in minutes. When running XWin, I connect
via a click on the RH dialer icon. Simple.

I have gone through the manual process of setting-up PPP to work with
various Linux-unfriendly ISPs. I can share my present /etc/PPP Chap/Pap and
network-script settings for Earthlink if that would help.

I also put together some notes the last time I had to manually install a
modem and get it up and running with my ISP. They are at:
http://jimintriglia.com/Private/linux/Linux_modem.shtm

(Enter 'guest' for User ID; 'vip042' for PW to access).

-JimI.