[CLUE-Tech] Enlightenment, gnome and KDE.

Jeffery C. Cann jccann at home.com
Mon Dec 18 20:18:28 MST 2000

On Monday 18 December 2000 19:29, Randolph Cordell wrote:
> If KDE is using fwm then I didn't know that.

As I said in my last message, KDE is using kwm. (KDE Window Manager = kwm)
Fvwm (Free Virtual Window Manager = fvwm) is another example of a window
manager.  Fvwm was popular from 1995 - 1997 and was the default desktop for
most Linux distributions -- check Red Hat, version 4.0 and you'll see what I
mean.

> It said that in order to change Gnome's default WM you need to open its
> desktop control panel or whatever it calls it and select the WM you prefer
> to use from there (which by default is Enlightenment and Window Maker).

The thing is that you can use whatever window manager you wish.  This is the
beauty of the X protocol.  Now, if you use fvwm in place of kwm in KDE or
Enlightenment (GNOME), you won't get all of the services that these window
managers provide.  For example, I once replaced fvwm with kwm without using
the rest of KDE.  This gave me nice drag and drop on a box with limited
memory.

Jeff
--
jccann [at] home [dot] com