[CLUE-Tech] performing security checks...

celttechie (Brian Jarrett) celttechie at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 20 08:39:56 MST 2000

I have a Mandrake 7.1 box that I've run the Bastille script on.  Every once in a while I get a security check message that tells me that a port has been opened for listening (port 6000 usually) and that there are certain world writable files on my system.
I'm looking for the programs that actually run the checks and generate these messages, but can't find them.  Are they just part of the kernel?  I would like to launch the security check manually, but it seems to me that maybe this can't be done.  Am I right about this?
The only executable I can find is msec which sets the level of the security check.

On a similar note, how would I find what is actually opening a port for listening so I can investigate the messages about port 6000 being opened?  I've looked at the security logs in /var/logs and don't see anything giving me more info than I already have.

TIA for any light you can shed on this...

Brian