[clue-tech] CLUE-Talk: Installation problems

grant at amadensor.com grant at amadensor.com
Wed Jun 21 06:37:57 MDT 2000

> -r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root        66936 May 11 10:25 setup
> -r--r--r--   1 root     root       392102 May 11 10:30 setup.ins
> cullis:/cdrom/linux/office52 # chmod a+x setup
> cullis:/cdrom/linux/office52 # ./setup
> bash: ./setup: Permission denied
> cullis:/cdrom/linux/office52 #
>
> I think I've done exactly what you said, but I may be wrong.  I'll try
> it again.
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Kevin
As you see, anyone can execute it.  It is not a permission on THAT
file.  However.....  It is also possible to make it so that nothing off
the CD can be executed.  This is in the file /etc/fstab.  There is a
line about the CDROM, and it may have the option noexec on it.  This is
because it is removeable media.  If you had a setuid root program on a
CD (a program set to run with root permissions no matter who ran it) and
stuck it into a machine that you did not have and were not supposed to
have root access to, you could sneak around and get it.

Now, solutions:
1)  Change /etc/fstab from noexec to exec.
This has the afformentioned security risks, but on a home machine rather
than a public terminal, this is fairly benign.

2)  Copy the whole CD (or at least Linux directory) to your hard drive,
tweak the permissions, and run it.