[clue-tech] CLUE-Talk: Installation problems

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Wed Jun 21 10:20:35 MDT 2000

"grant at amadensor.com" wrote:

> > -r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root        66936 May 11 10:25 setup
> > -r--r--r--   1 root     root       392102 May 11 10:30 setup.ins
> > cullis:/cdrom/linux/office52 # chmod a+x setup
> > cullis:/cdrom/linux/office52 # ./setup
> > bash: ./setup: Permission denied
> > cullis:/cdrom/linux/office52 #
> >
> > I think I've done exactly what you said, but I may be wrong.  I'll try
> > it again.
> >
> > Thanks for the help.
> >
> > Kevin
> As you see, anyone can execute it.  It is not a permission on THAT
> file.  However.....  It is also possible to make it so that nothing off
> the CD can be executed.  This is in the file /etc/fstab.  There is a
> line about the CDROM, and it may have the option noexec on it.  This is
> because it is removeable media.  If you had a setuid root program on a
> CD (a program set to run with root permissions no matter who ran it) and
> stuck it into a machine that you did not have and were not supposed to
> have root access to, you could sneak around and get it.
>
> Now, solutions:
> 1)  Change /etc/fstab from noexec to exec.
> This has the afformentioned security risks, but on a home machine rather
> than a public terminal, this is fairly benign.
>
> 2)  Copy the whole CD (or at least Linux directory) to your hard drive,
> tweak the permissions, and run it.

I did 2) above and it worked "out of the box."  I copied it to Kevin
rather than root, others may want to do that instead.  I copied it to
it's own directory (Office52) and it created it's own directory
(office52) and I ran it from there.  Now, if I delete SO 5.1, will that
affect 5.2 in my home directory?

At first glance, I like 5.2 much better.  Give me some time and I might
find something which I won't.

Thanks Grant for the help.

Kevin