[clue-tech] CLUE-Talk: Installation problems

grant grant at amadensor.com
Wed Jun 21 13:32:15 MDT 2000

> For further information, should I create a "Net" directory similar to SO
> so that I can do the same from now on with other programs?  Would it be
> /opt/net or /opt/share with every program?  Does every program have the
> potential to do this or are there limitations?

Huh?????   You pass the /net option to the installer.  It is NOT a
directory name.  When you install it this way, it allows any user to just
run the setup program, put 2 MB of stuff in their home, and use the
application.  I put it in /opt/office52 since /opt is for software that
did not come with the distro, but was not compiled on this machine.

Most applications, if you put them in a central place, will create theri
setup files in the user's home directory.  I know that Netscape does this.

I hope that that answers your question.  /opt is a convention, not some
magical special place where all the world is good and beautiful and
flowers grow all the time.  It is just a directory.