[clue-tech] HylaFAX + mgetty + WHFC

Matt Durell Matt.Durell at Durell.Net
Tue May 23 23:44:49 MDT 2000

It's not actually the getty that tells the difference, it's the hardware.
vgetty is used to collect voice mail from some popular modems.

Once it gets to the getty stage, the phone has been answered.  For that
matter, for the modem to even be able to tell it has to answer the phone!
After all, all rings sound alike... or do they?

If you only want one phone line and don't have too much data traffic (fax
included) you can always get the distinctive ring service.  Basically you
are assigned two (or more) phone numbers on one line.  Each number has a
different ring.  Most of the better modems can be configured to cope with
this.  If not, there is always the external ring indicator boxes.  These can
route a ring to different circuits depending on the ring.  I used this
service for some time with a BBS I used to run (many, many, *MANY* moons
ago... 813-737-PIGS, I believe.  It was called "Pigs in Space". Ahh... good
ole' VBBS).  One goes to the phones and one to the  computer (fax, kids, et
cetera).

BTW, something is to be said for the convenience of simply printing through
a special printer and have it fax something.  I suppose, if one was so
inclined, one could do the same except attach a email front-end encapsulated
inside a printer drive.  My guess is you don't have the time to do this. Who
would (Eric Raymond, perhaps.. Oh god no!)?

You could always define a postscript printer and direct it to a file.  You
could then grab that postscript file into an email and send it. Of course,
you still have the problem I listed... a pain-in-the-rear postscript file.
Good for printing, a pain for viewing.

You could get Adobe Acrobat (not the reader, the whole $400 suite) and
generate PDF files to attach (about the closest you will get to a 'real'
fax).  This is assuming you're using Windows.  If you're using Linux, I'm
sure someone has a PDF writer that can be done as a printer filter.  Of
course, you could always write as a postscript file and use ImageMajick as
follows: convert PD:sourcefile.ps pdf:outputfile.pdf.  The file types
followed by colons aren't needed if a valid file extension is provided in
the filename.

Now, is all of this worth your time? I dunno.  I would just buy a blasted
fax machine and get it over with.

Well... It's bedtime for me.  Too bad the Avs lost (again).  At least this
one was close.