[CLUE-Tech] CDROM audio problems

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Wed Nov 1 08:44:22 MST 2000

grant wrote:

> The problem is that you are trying to mount the CD.  You can only mount
> data, not audio.  Open up the audio player (on SuSE, it is in the
> multimedia section of the menu.)  It will start it playing in an audio
> mode.  Alternately, you should be able to press the play button on the
> front of the CD player.
>
> Audio CD's don't get mounted, and the sound bypasses the CPU and goes out
> a dedicated audio cable straight to the sound card.

I did try an audio player under GNOME and it couldn't access the audio
CD and came up with some errors. However, once I selected a KDE CD audio
player it's worked fine. In fact, I began using Xmcd player and I love
it!! I was connected to the Net and once I ran the configurator after
opening it the first time, I just pop in a CD while on the Net and it
downloads (from a CDDB server) the track times, title, and track names
and keeps a log of them.  It's great!!! Now if I could just get it to
rip the CDs for me into MP3's I'd be in heaven. ;-)

Thanks for your help Grant and Match.

Kevin