[CLUE-Tech] SMP install --> system hang

Lynn Danielson lynnd at techangle.com
Sat Nov 4 11:07:24 MST 2000

Jeffery Cann wrote:

> Lynn Danielson wrote:
>
> > Jeffery Cann wrote:
> > >
> > > Dual Pentium processors, 128 MB
> > >
> > > Tried RHAT 6.2 & Slackware 7.1 - As the system is loaded onto hard
> > > drive, at the same point the install hangs.
> > >
> > > Any special incantations for installing SMP linux boxes?
> >
> > The stepping needs to be the same for both processors -- are they?
>
> What is stepping?  Is this the clock speed?

No.  It has to do with the manufacture of the cpu.
I won't claim to understand it, but the stepping
must be the same for both of your processors.
This is why Pentium Pro's were commonly sold in
matched pairs.  If the Pentium processors you
are using are not from the same lot, you'll need
to check their model/serial numbers against
Intel's database to check what the stepping
level is for each processor.  They need to have
the same stepping level for smp.

For some more info, check out:
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/96q3/960714/index.html

> > Does the machine boot up fine in UP mode?  Are you using a stock
> > SMP kernel or building your own?
>
> UP = single processor?

Yes -- uniprocessor.

Good luck,