[CLUE-Tech] Re: [CLUE-Talk] Yet another reason Linux is so cool

grant grant at amadensor.com
Tue Nov 21 11:11:59 MST 2000

It was not SMB taking up space it was I/O buffers.  They were the ones
used for network, serial, keyboard, etc.  The took up so much space that
there was no space for filesystem cache.  Then, since there was very
little cache (6K) the filesystem slowed, which backed up, and made even
more pile up into the I/O buffers.  It was only on the very large files,
since the small files have enough overhead in the identgification of the
file (name, etc) and winders is slow enough in switching files, that it
was able to keep up quite well.  However, large video files
(300-400M) caused the buffers to swell, the cache to shrink, and even my
mouse did not move smoothly.  I dropped out of X, and it helped a little,
but it was still not right.

When little files were being processed, and when it finished, the system
went back to normal as the buffers flushed themselves.

                          Your mouse has moved.
       You must restart Windows for your changes to take effect.

#!/usr/bin/perl
print $i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);