[CLUE-Tech] CDROM audio problems

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Tue Oct 31 20:30:33 MST 2000

Hey all,

I've got SuSe 6.4 installed and I have no problem loading Linux or other
CDs in Linux. However, when it comes to audio CDs, it has problems.
This is what I get when a Linux CD is loaded.

/dev/hdc on /cdrom type iso9660 (ro,nosuid,nodev,user=kevin)

But, double clicking on the CD icon with a audio CD in, I get this GNOME
warning:

/dev/cdrom: input/output error

When I use a CDROM player, I get this when I hit the play button from
GNOME:

Error accessing CDROM device. Please check to make sure cdrom drive
support is compiled into the kernel, and you have permission to access
the device. Reason: permission denied.

This is at /dev:

lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            8 Sep 13 10:55 cdrom -> /dev/hdc

This is my fstab:

/dev/hda1       /boot   ext2    defaults 1 2
/dev/hda2       swap    swap    defaults 0 2
/dev/hda3       /       ext2    defaults 1 1
/dev/hdb1       /data1  auto    noauto,user 0 0
/dev/hdb3       /data2  auto    noauto,user 0 0
proc    /proc   proc    defaults 0 0
usbdevfs        /proc/bus/usb   usbdevfs        defaults 0 0
devpts  /dev/pts        devpts  defaults 0 0
/dev/cdrom      /cdrom  auto    ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0
/dev/fd0        /floppy auto    noauto,user 0 0

Then I followed Running Linux stuff about automounter:

cullis:~ # /sbin/init.d/autofs start
Starting service automounter
done

Still nothing, this is what I've got now:

cullis:~ # ps -aux | grep automount
root     14810  0.0  0.4  1144  576 pts/3    S    20:15   0:00
/usr/sbin/automount /misc file /etc/auto.misc
root     14812  0.0  0.4  1144  576 pts/3    S    20:15   0:00
/usr/sbin/automount /net program /etc/auto.net
root     14851  0.0  0.3  1136  416 pts/3    S    20:16   0:00 grep
automount

This is the current auto.misc file:
# This is an automounter map and it has the following format
# key [ -mount-options-separated-by-comma ] location
# Details may be found in the autofs(5) manpage

#kernel         -ro                     ftp.kernel.org:/pub/linux
#removable      -fstype=ext2            :/dev/hdd
#cd             -fstype=iso9660,ro      :/dev/hdc
#floppy         -fstype=auto            :/dev/fd0
cd              -fstype=iso9660,ro      :/dev/hdc
floppy          -fstype=auto            :/dev/fd0

Do I have to change my fstab now that I've changed my auto.misc file?
I'm still learning.

I'm stuck at the moment.  The reason I'm doing this is to grip some CDs
into mp3s. As always, any help is much appreciated.

Kevin