[CLUE-Tech] Starting PHP

Grant Johnson grant at amadensor.com
Sat Apr 14 22:27:17 MDT 2001

Richard Knechtel wrote:

> I am currently doing ASP development at work. I read an article in the
> current Linux Journal how PHP is really taking off. I figured that if I can
> lean ASP, PHP shouldn't be to difficult.  I was wondering if anyone that is
> working with PHP can point me to a good PHP tutorial or a good book on
> learning PHP or any good PHP resources.
>
> Thanks much!
PHP is taking off.  PHP as an Apache module outnumbers all NT/IIS
installs whether they are using ASP or not.  As a comparison:  PHP is
object oriented, if you want to, but it does not force you into and OO
API where it does not make sense.  It also does not use so mant
enumerated constants, and those it uses always work.  It is a bit more
predictable, and does not give random partial results under heavy load.
Generally, it is simpler, more powerful, more versatile, and faster.

The only downside is that if you have a heavy investment in using
objects linked in from MS Office or something, it is not going to do
those things, but why you would be doping that server side on a web
server, I have no idea.

As for learning it, there is a tutorial at http://www.php.net/manual