[CLUE-Tech] Starting PHP

Dan Harris coronadh at coronasolutions.com
Mon Apr 16 09:25:19 MDT 2001

You bring up some good points here, Grant.  I have been working with ASP on IIS
for a few years now.  Although I have been moving a lot of functions over to
Linux servers, I have run into some problems with replacing my ASP work with
php.

I use a lot of windows-only objects that have no equivalents on Linux/php.
Charting/graphing and Crystal Reports are the two major ones.  Then of course,
I'm still unsure of how people are maintaining state in php applications.  Is
tehre an equivalent of the "session" and "application" object found in ASP/IIS?

I've also looked into the ChiliSoft ASP, but it appears that I wouldn't gain
anything in portability other than the 99% compatible syntax.  Those COM objects
are tough to give up..even as big of a Linux bigot as I am..

-Dan Harris