[CLUE-Tech] A Simpler way

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Sun Apr 15 19:23:05 MDT 2001

ian wrote:

> In a highly complex system the "simplest way" can be defined as the way
> you know how to do it.  When there is as many ways to do something as you
> can imagine and one more, getting it done in a way you know how counts
> pretty high in my definition.
>
> It is an academic exercise to find the way that is the simplest.  What
> criteria will it be defined to do something the simplest?  Least keystrokes?
> Least button clicks?

The optimal perspective is process related: the fewest
keystokes/mouseclicks (i.e. time related) to get the job done!  That's
why I originally talked about this idea below.  However, learning more
about the CLI can create a more synergistic benefit when combined with
other commands and piping multiple commands together to achieve the end
result.  GUI's result in easy to use and follow after a 80/20 rule: 80%
of the people will only use 20% of the commands in a CLI. I, too, use
the a GUI when I'm in "mouse mode" and have to get things done, but I
find that I am beginning to switch to CLI for more and more things as I
begin to learn how to do more and more things with the CLI. The more
difficult thing is knowing what tips and tricks one can find in using
the CLI to be more productive than the GUI.