[CLUE-Tech] Mandrake 8.0 or SuSE 7.1?

Nicholas Perez Nicholas_Perez at excite.com
Tue Apr 17 13:15:00 MDT 2001

RANT_MODE=1;
Maybe it is just me, but why on earth should linux attempt to become user
friendly? Why should Linux become a Redmond-esque clone, trying to immitate
the ui? Personally, I like Linux at the level it is at. Sure it's no OpenBSD
when it comes to installation(thank god, because that is a nightmare). But I
don't want flashy desktops filled to the brim with pointy-clicky icons with
all sorts of frill and lace and cpu cycle eating, mem hogging "desktop" apps
and "docking bars". If you are unable to navigate through a *nix system
without a mouse and icons, if you are unable to hand edit config files, read
the right man pages to accomplish the right tasks, figure out and solve
problems on your own then you need to go back to windows/mac. I for one am
seriously scared of automagical configurators and so should you. I don't see
*nix going to the common man anytime soon. Let Microserfs and Apple handle
"user friendliness". Because *nix is user friendly, it just tends to be
choosy about its friends.
RANT_MODE=0;