[CLUE-Tech] Re:why on earth should linux attempt to become user friendly?

Cyberclops Cyberclops at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Apr 19 11:35:15 MDT 2001

Here's the simplest solution from a member of the Aloha Linux Group -
Hawaii:

        You have to give the root user permission to connect to your X
server by running "xhost +". In KDE you can just hit ALT-F2, and type
the
command. Then run konqueror as root. In Mandrake (and maybe others)
there is an option for a SuperUser konqueror in the KDE menus as well.

Deven Phillips, CISSP

Here was my response:

Okay, your suggestion of Alt-F2 and the then "xhost +" worked.  After
typing that, I was able to launch the superuser mode of konqueror and
then use the advanced text editor too.  I presume it would let me save a
modified version of what I'm editing - which it did.

Now this is an example of where the clubs could be most helpful.  This
is clearly a tip or trick that should be listed in a club guide sheet to
more user friendly use of Linux it's already there, but not immediately
apparent to new users.  When you join the club and perhaps pay your
dues, then you should get a little pamphlet of tips and tricks to make
life with Linux easy.