[CLUE-Tech] many choices

ian iguy at ionsphere.org
Sun Apr 22 16:28:27 MDT 2001

What do you want to get out of the more "complex" solution?

Do you want to have all "data" stored in an XML backend?
If that is the case links and such will be created by doing a XSLT
tranformation on the XML file.  You would need to create your own
"informal" DTD.

Do you want to have the entire page in a convertable format?
Do you want to be able to create PDF, print format, etc from the same
initial file that you code up?
If that's the case Dockbook SGML is good, Latex is good, even XML can
be good.  All require a learning curve to get up to speed on them but
then they are fairly useful.

If all you want is to have a presentation that is a web page with
links forward and backwards then straight HTML with CSS is more than
enough.  However the reason all these other techs are created is to
separate and allow more architecture and control over the different
levels of a website.  Separate content from presentation, allow a non
tech person to create content, allow a non tech person create presentation.

It all depends on what your needs are for your site?

ian