[CLUE-Tech] many choices

David Willson DLWillson at TheGeek.NU
Mon Apr 23 12:05:56 MDT 2001

Where did you read that CSS is, or will soon be, deprecated?  Everything I
do is based on very simple HTML in combination with Cascading Style-Sheets.
I would be sorely disappointed to see CSS going away.

To correct someone's mistaken impression, DHTML does not belong to
Microsoft.  Microsoft has done a much better job of implementing the
standards involved in their browser than Netscape, though.  DHTML is an
industry-standard term for Dynamic HTML, which refers (somewhat loosely), to
the combination of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript/ECMAScript.  The most useful
computer book I have ever purchased deals exclusively with DHTML and how it
has been implemented in Navigator and IE and the applicable standards.
"Dynamic HTML, The Definitive Reference" by Danny Goodman.

I would use XML if, and only if, my document was 'data-centric'.  I'd ask
me, does this thing smell like a list or a collection of lists?  If the
answer was affirmative, I'd go XML, otherwise, I'd stick with DHTML, or
simply HTML & CSS.

-----Original Message-----
From: clue-tech-admin at clue.denver.co.us
[mailto:clue-tech-admin at clue.denver.co.us]On Behalf Of Roger Frank
Sent: Sunday, April 22, 2001 2:44 PM
To: CLUE Tech
Subject: [CLUE-Tech] many choices

I want to make a presentation that is visible on a series of web pages.
I have too many choices, and I'm not sure which way to go.  If this
were a few years back, I'd code it in HTML and move on.  But I've been
looking at XML and I've made a few pages (with CSS definitions.)
Then I read CSS is not the future, and I struggle with putting HTML
on the same page as the XML (for links to the next page as an example.)
There's also DHTML.  Or I could write it in LaTeX and translate it to
HTML but then pictures would have to be in EPS format.  I like having lots
of
choices, but I'd like it more if I knew which one to pick for this on-line
presentation.  I'm open to suggestions.  I'm willing to learn something new
if it makes sense for now and in the future.  (No, I don't want to do it
in nroff!)

Roger Frank