[CLUE-Tech] URL for ioctl TIOS functions?

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Wed Aug 1 09:25:27 MDT 2001

David Anselmi wrote:

> Well, I don't know squat about this.  So tell me whether I'm close or not...
>
> I poked around in the kernel source - TIOCMBI[SC] seems to be for setting or
> clearing bits in the modem control register (async_struct->MCR).  A look on
> yahoo for 'modem control register' turns up some hits that are pretty greek
> to me.  But this one looks promising:
> http://www.beyondlogic.org/serial/serial.htm
>
> Seems that TIOCM{GET,SET} either sets or gets the whole async_struct.  If
> you've seen examples, you're way ahead of me.  async_struct is defined in a
> file called linux/serialP.h.  Again, maybe the website helps.
>
> Is that any use, or did you already know all of it?

Hi David.

About an hour after I mailed that, I thought of looking at the source,
and I found the same thing you did, I presume (serial.c). The examples
are in the UPS-HOWTO, and they use TIOCMSET when they want to set just
one line. Apparently not the best approach. Interesting website. Reminds
me of the old days of networking computers over synchronous modems at
9600 over leased lines.

Thanks,
jed
--
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a
 difference. Free Software developers don't have that problem."