[CLUE-Tech] Cisco 675 PPP vs. Bridging modes

Steve Fry clue at ir3w.com
Thu Aug 9 20:44:06 MDT 2001

That's what Qwest told me the first time - but it didn't work for long.
Something about this thing getting stuck in "sector 6" of the router's
memory.  Fortunately, I somehow got ahold of a tech support person at
Qwest that seemed to have a clue (no pun intended - and yes - I too was
surprised).  This person sent me an email with instructions on cleaning
out sector 6 (by basically reconfig'ng the entire router).  It worked so
well for me that I put the instructions here:

http://www.ir3w.com/qwest_cisco675.html

[Don't be messing with this if you don't know what you are doing*.  But
of course, if you're on the Clue list, I'm sure that you already know
more than your average 'puter user.]

Steve

* IOW, I can't be responsible if you mess up your router.  OK?

Match Grun wrote:

> I have the same PPP setup with my ISP. Last week I was forced to reboot the Cisco 675 several times.
>
> My ISP gave me this fix. Login to your 675 via Telnet or the control port. Give the following commands:
>
>         enable
>         set web disabled
>         set web port 0
>         write
>         reboot
>
> I have not had problems since I re-configured. Let me know if this fixed your problem.
>
> --
> Match Grun
> "Don't wonder too much -- you may get lost"
>
> On Thu, 9 Aug 2001 16:33:37 -0600
> JL Kottal <jlkottal at americanisp.net> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > This message was posted both BLUG and CLUE-tech.
> >
> > Could someone(s) please compare and contrast the bridging and the PPP
> > modes for a Cisco 675 router, vis-a-vis the advantages and
> > disadvantages, bandwidth, security, etc.?
> >
> > I am currently using an ISP with the 675 in PPP mode and, in spite of
> > having applied the 675 CBOS upgrade and redirecting the HTTP port, I
> > am still getting killed by the Code Red worm. Someone has suggested
> > that placing the 675 in the bridging mode will eliminate this
> > vulnerability.
> >
> > I talked to my ISP, who swears that the bridging mode is the worst
> > possible way to run this router, but I am not sure that I understand
> > their reasons because they sounded like so much double-talk.
> >
> > Thus I pose my question to a relatively unbiased group and hope that
> > this does not cause a flame war ... <g>
> >
> > JohnK

              IR3W Web Services
   Steve Fry - steve at ir3w.com - 720-233-3WWW