[CLUE-Tech] linux & broadband

David Willson DLWillson at TheGeek.NU
Fri Aug 10 07:24:45 MDT 2001

Cyberclops, that answer was less than useful.  Try the exploratory approach, instead:
Himanshu, what version of Windows do you have there?  Are you planning to add to your network, or stick with two machines for now?  How many Network Interface Cards (NICs) do you have available?
You will need three to do what you are attempting:
Two for your "gateway" box: One for the 'Net, one for your LAN.
One for your client box.  Your LAN can be a hub, if you're planning to add machines to it, or a crossover cable.
You probably should consider using the Linux box as the firewall/gateway, but your configuration is possible, and relatively simple.  Configure your Linux box as dynamically as possible.  This should be the default condition, when you have installed the NIC.  Next, set up "Internet Connection Sharing" or "Routing and Remote Access" on the Windows box.  Which one you use will be determined by which version of Windows you have.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Cyberclops
  To: clue-tech at clue.denver.co.us
  Sent: Friday, August 10, 2001 6:21 AM
  Subject: Re: [CLUE-Tech] linux & broadband

  I'm of the opinion that most people do it the other way around.  They use Linux as the master connection and Windows as the slave.  As I understand it, they make this decision based on Linux's superior firewall capabilities, and more overall versatility in connecting to different operating systems.  In short, Windows as a multifaceted operating system is less than optimal.
  Himanshu Sharma wrote:

    Hi,I am new to Linux. I am trying to configure it so I can connect to the internet. I have another machine running windows and connected to the net via a cable modem. I want to use the windows machine as a gateway and network the linux box to this machine. I am completely clueless on how to go about doing it. Any help would be appreciated. thanks,himanshu