[CLUE-Tech] linux & broadband

Jeremiah Stanley miah at miah.org
Fri Aug 10 14:01:53 MDT 2001

> I get the impression that cable modems are not nearly as versatile,
> but I forget sometimes.  Thanks for catching me.

In my experience with most cable modems is that they are just dumb packet
forwarders to a 'nicer' piece of equipment on the other end of the cable.
The part of the service that is less _usable_ is the fact that @Home
blocks some ports coming onto their network (http and ftp: nothing saying
you can't just run ftp on another port though...).

JStanley
--
Every so often, I like to go to the window, look up, and smile for a
satellite picture.   -- Stephen Wright