[CLUE-Tech] @home and DHCP (was linux & broadband)

Brandon N bneill at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 11 12:26:57 MDT 2001

> I've got @Home as well, and it is pretty much a "semi-static" IP
> address. From
> what the techs told me, if you're using their Windows software it's
> supposed
> to change every 7 days or something like that. (I haven't used it,
> but that's
> what they told me...) I just use regular DHCP on the first Ethernet
> interface
> and that works fine.
Don't believe anything that someone at @home tells you.  They don't
have a clue, even the people teaching them don't really know how things
are working.  The only reason that they use DHCP is that it's easier
for the technicians to set up the computers.  They do have a disclaimer
that says your IP address may change, but in the year that I worked
there, we never changed anyone IP.  The only reason they would do it
would be to fix a misallocation of IPs.  In fact, they way thier
databases are set up, changing IP's would cause them a major headache
and would no doubt leave some people without a connection.  As for the
7 day thing, they probably meant lease time, but it doesn't matter,
when you renew, you'll get the same IP.

Brandon