[CLUE-Tech] @home and DHCP (was linux & broadband)

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 11 12:32:12 MDT 2001

On Sat, 11 Aug 2001, Brandon N wrote:

> > I've got @Home as well, and it is pretty much a "semi-static" IP
> > address. From
> > what the techs told me, if you're using their Windows software it's
> > supposed
> > to change every 7 days or something like that. (I haven't used it,
> > but that's
> > what they told me...) I just use regular DHCP on the first Ethernet
> > interface
> > and that works fine.

> Don't believe anything that someone at @home tells you.  They don't
> have a clue, even the people teaching them don't really know how things
> are working.  The only reason that they use DHCP is that it's easier
> for the technicians to set up the computers.  They do have a disclaimer
> that says your IP address may change, but in the year that I worked
> there, we never changed anyone IP.  The only reason they would do it
> would be to fix a misallocation of IPs.  In fact, they way thier
> databases are set up, changing IP's would cause them a major headache
> and would no doubt leave some people without a connection.  As for the
> 7 day thing, they probably meant lease time, but it doesn't matter,
> when you renew, you'll get the same IP.

Well, I certainly did take it with a grain of salt.. :) I certainly
don't doubt that the majority of them are clueless...it took them
three weeks to be able to tell me what my primary email address/password
was....

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
http://www.DissociatedPress.net/
Free Dmitry Skylarov! http://www.freeskylarov.org/
"Life is like arriving late for a movie, having to figure out what
was going on without bothering everybody with a lot of questions,
and then being unexpectedly called away before you find out how
it ends." -- Joseph Campbell