[CLUE-Tech] NVidia problems

Dan Harris coronadh at coronasolutions.com
Sun Aug 19 16:00:42 MDT 2001

Hey All, I'm sure there are others of you who are using the Nvidia GeForce2
MX.  I recently compiled a new kernel (2.4.5) for my new home PC (Sony Vaio)
and included the latest NVidia drivers.  However, any time I boot into the
new kernel, X will just plain hard freeze on me after a random amount of
time.  Every time it was under 2 minutes of run time.  The only solution is
to power off at that time.  I've tried re-compiling several time, playing
with AGP settings, etc.  Nothing seems to make a difference.

Yet, the 2.4.2 kernel that shipped with RH7.1 works flawlessly.  Just
wondering if someone had fought this battle before or could offer some
places to look for solutions.

As a side note, I have been booting Linux with a floppy and it's getting a
bit old.  I did it because of the 1024 cylinder contraint for LILO.  Just
wondering if I might be able to add something to the Windows2000 boot.ini
that could let me choose Linux from the w2k boot loader?

Thanks,
Dan Harris