[CLUE-Tech] How to view MS Word docs in Linux

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Mon Aug 20 11:09:06 MDT 2001

Kevin Cullis wrote:

> Good article.
> http://www.varlinux.org/article.php?sid=312

Thanks Kevin. I hadn't heard about the wv utilities.

The obvious flip-side is worth addressing as well. How to create Office
documents for those who insist that's the only thing they can use (I'm
thinking mainly of recruiters here.) I suppose it's a bit contradictory,
but I really don't need something as big (bloated?) as StarOffice, or
any other suite for Linux. I keep a box running Windoze at home just for
maintaining my resume, and 1 very simple spreadsheet. I'd really like to
convert that box to Linux (or just put it on the shelf for a spare).

Leaving the spreadsheet issue for a different thread, in the short term,
I could convert my resume to pdf, but then I have the question of
editing it. TeX seems like too big a hammer. Having something simple, to
do just page headers, bold/underline, typeface selection, indentation,
wrapping, and margins would fill the bill quite well, I think.

Any suggestions?
TIA
jed

--
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a
 difference. Free Software developers don't have that problem."