[CLUE-Tech] DocBook (was How to view MS Word docs in Linux)

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 20 13:56:54 MDT 2001

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Brandon N wrote:

> It's not the simpliest process around, but I'm starting to write all my
> documents in DocBook xml (or SGML) format.  I can then create pdf,
> MSword (with and additional loop to jump through) TeX, or html from
> that.  It takes a bit to learn it, but writing the XML isn't the hard
> part, it's learning how to set up the converstion tools (Jade or
> OpenJade).  RedHat has an RPM for them I hear.  I'm working on making a
> Slakpak.  FWIW, all of the Linux Documentation Project's documents are
> written in DocBook, and they have a decent tutorial.  O'Reilly uses it
> for many of thier books, and I know Sun uses it.

It might work out of the box on Slackware, and it's dead-easy to set
up on Debian. (apt-get install task-sgml, IIRC)

Have you tried sgmltools for processing your DocBook files?

DocBook really isn't suitable for resumes, though. XML is, but the
elements available with DocBook don't lend themselves to a resume.
They're great for any type of technical documentation, though...and
if anyone asks I can recommend a good book on DocBook... :)

Take care,

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
http://www.DissociatedPress.net/
Free Dmitry Skylarov! http://www.freeskylarov.org/
"Life is like arriving late for a movie, having to figure out what
was going on without bothering everybody with a lot of questions,
and then being unexpectedly called away before you find out how
it ends." -- Joseph Campbell