[CLUE-Tech] DSL Recommendations

Jeffery Cann jc_cann at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 3 12:35:58 MST 2001

Greetings.

After using my sister-in-laws DSL connection in Miami, I am considering
switching to DSL from AT&T cable modem (especially since AT&T left us @home
users hanging while they play hard-ball with Excite and the FTC).

Probably, I will wait until AT&T gets their new network up and running before I
decide to switch.  But there are several compelling reasons to go with DSL over
cable.  When I originally got the @home service 2 years ago, DSL was
unavailable even though I live 2 blocks from the Qwest switch.  Now, that it's
available, now may be an opportune time to switch.

I am have a few questions for those who have the service from Qwest:

0. Do you recommend DSL?  What is your connection package?  I am looking at the
standard 256 upload / download with 'choose my own isp' option.

1. Who is your ISP?  Do you like their service?  What is monthly cost?  Do you
recommend the company?

2. How is DSL setup under Linux?  Do they assign static IPs or DHCP?  Anything
special here?

3. The Qwest page talks about 'modems'.  I can only assume they are talking
about a router, right?  Much like my cable 'modem' is actually a bridge, the
company uses the term 'modem' as a catch-all network connection.  Anyway, based
on my experiences, the external option seems less problematic.  Are you using
internal or external 'modem'?

4. Finally, how is the reliability?  Unlike some @home users, my cable modem is
(was) rock-solid reliable.

TIA,