[CLUE-Tech] DSL Recommendations

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Tue Dec 4 09:07:56 MST 2001

I am using Forethought.net, and I can recommend them.  20 bucks gets me
the usual ISP services, plus a couple of static IPs, which I like.

Go with Qwest for the DSL line, rather than a CLEC like Covad or the
like.  These are uncertain times for the TELCO industry, especially
those that are competitors on the local loop.  Who knows how long they
will be around.  (NOTE: Full Disclosure:  I work for Qwest.  But if I
felt they were stable, and weren't so expensive, *I* would go with a
CLEC.  I have seen Qwest *service* first hand)

You pretty much have no choice when it comes to the DSL customer
premises equipment.  You get the Cisco 678.  The Intel products (both
the internal PCI, and the external USB) are proprietary
products, and Intel has no desire to release specs, or make a Linux
driver.  They will only work in Windows.  The Cisco 675 is no longer
available, as it supports the CAP line encoding protocol, rather than
DMT, and Qwest doesn't install those anymore.  The 675 is grand-fathered.
Note:  none of these are modems.  That is the common term, but it is
incorrect.  These are devices that decode the digital DSL signal on the
phone line, turn it into ATM, and deliver the data to you computer in
some way (pci, usb, Ethernet).  In the case of the Cisco, it is also a
router.

HTH,

Tim