[CLUE-Tech] amd durnon

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Tue Dec 4 21:59:08 MST 2001

Well, I hate to say this, but if you're getting seg faults no matter
what kernel you use, I've seen that before.... it was bad ram for me.
Hardware is one of my main hobbies, so after the last 6 years of
building systems of all kind, I've seen all kinds of messed up errors
with linux and bum hardware.  That is one thing I like about linux - it
is more picky with flaky gear.  I remember I could always get Win 95 to
install on this junk amptron motherboard with a cyrix cpu I used to
have, but when I tried Red Hat 5.0, I'd get signal 11's and seg faults
constantly.  Turned out, it was a junk board, but I've also seen the
same thing with bad ram and bad cpus.  Also, I have a system with a
duron 750 in it, with an FIC motherboard (forget the exact model number)
and it runs either kernel fine.  I also have dual and single cpu athlon
thunderbird and mp systems going running linux as servers - no problems
at all.  So, if I were to just guess from the info you've given us, I'd
have to say bad hardware.