[CLUE-Tech] X-Sever/KDE "tuning"

Randy Arabie rrarabie at attbi.com
Wed Dec 5 07:02:13 MST 2001

I've been using RH Linux for 3+ years now, but stayed away
from the GUI.  This was mainly due to the low budget, hand-
me-down, ancient hardware (486's) I have for home PC usage.
And, I wasn't using Linux as a "productivity" machine...I
didn't need it for word processing, spreadsheets, etc....

I do have a "modern" box at home that, until Saturday, was
running Windoze 2000.  However, I liberated it, and it is now
running RH 7.1 (would be 7.2 or another 'flavor' if my @home
service wouldn't have died).

I like the new KDE "look and feel" however, I'm not at all
impressed with the performance.  Things load really slow.  I
launch an application and then sit and wait, watch the
"spinning disc" icon down on the toolbar, it disappears, then
I wait a little longer, and then suddenly my application
appears.  The total time varies, but even a simple x-term
took 23 seconds to load.

Does anyone have any tips for improving (tunining) the
performance of X or the window manager?

My system is an AMD K6II 500 with 256 MB RAM, and 10 GB IDE
HD.  The video card I'm using is a S3 ViRGE/DX with 4 MB
memory onboard.

I expect the first recommendation to be upgrade the video
card.  That may be an option, but I'm hoping I can find
another solution.  I don't play games, so I'm not after that
sort of performance.  I do a little graphics for webpage
design.  However, my wife had Photoshop 6 on Windoze 2000 and
the system handled that fine...shouldn't Linux be able to do
it too?

--

Cheers!

Randy

Randy Arabie
GnuPG Key Info --

Print: 75CB 1707 3C14 EF94 22E1  995F 7286 97DC B41D 79CE
Key ID: 7C603AEF
Keyserver: seattle.keyserver.net