[CLUE-Tech] AT&T Broadband

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 5 14:00:12 MST 2001

Jeffery Cann wrote:

> Joe,
>
> I feel your pain.  I already went through section 3 of the DHCP mini-HOWTO,
> referenced by Brandon and I am still not able to connect as of this morning.  I
> am at work, so I cannot try some other ideas.

Yes, the mini-HOWTO isn't much help. An actual config file that I can
modify is what I'm looking for. Don't be stingy people, post those
configs!

> I think it is an AT&T problem at this point.  For example, my cable 'modem' no
> longer flashed amber as of this morning, but the network traffic light was not
> flashing green.  Previously, it flashed all of the time, which (I believe)
> indicates network traffic.  Since it was not flashing this morning, I can only
> believe that my part of the network was not running yet.

Well, I wouldn't doubt that it's AT&T, but I have no way of confirming
that -- I've been using a static config for quite a while, so setting
up DHCP is a new adventure -- and the docs really suck. I've also heard
that @Home doesn't play well with Linux, so I'm wondering if that's
the problem, or if they're still down, or if I haven't set everything
up right.

> Another reason I think it is AT&T at this point is that I have tried several
> times this morning to connect from Yahoo email client to my new email account
> at mail server mail.attbi.com.  This does not work either.  Yahoo reports that
> the connection to mail.attbi.com died unexpectedly.  This conflicts with other
> observations / abilities to retrieve email.

I've tried that too -- no luck. So much for getting the email with
instructions. I can sign in on their main site, but the links to
manually configuring the DHCP are broken or only accessible to people
on AT&T. (Nice support, huh?)

> I do have other friends whose accounts (including email) are working.  They are
> all on various versions of Windoze.  I tried to connect my wife's NT machine
> and that does not work, either.
>
> When I get a working configuration, I will post it.  Also, if you're still on
> Slackware, maybe check alt.os.linux.slackware.

Some of my machines, but my firewall is a Debian box. Thanks for the
response, though.

Take care,

Zonker

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net