[CLUE-Tech] [OT] DSL - multiple IPs.

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Wed Dec 5 21:18:50 MST 2001

Frank Whiteley wrote:

> You need to use one port for NAT, say eth0, then use vip0, vip1, or vip2 for
> your subnet.  The C675 will route through the static IP on the wan side.
> You must set the wan0 port to the static IP in the C678, otherwise it will
> not route both, this was not necessary in the C675.  Also, on some older
> CBOS C675s you must disable the ability of the router to assign the static
> IP to the eth0 port, otherwise the ISP DHCP assignment of the static IP will
> overwrite your port assignment when it trains.
>
> Sorry, I don't have the specific commands in front of me at the moment.  Let
> me know if you need them.

Well, I have the CBOS user's guide, so I think I'm ok on commands.  But a little
fuzzy on details.

I have a 678, so tell me if this is correct:

- I set wan0 ipcp to one of my static IPs (I suppose it has to be the 'right'
one?) and I don't let it get assigned by the ISP, right?

- I set eth0 to a private IP, as it is now.

- I set vip0 to an IP.  Is that one of my 5 static IPs, or a private one?  If
it's a static IP, does that mean one less to use for my servers?  Is it inside
or outside (in the set int command)?

I think I'll be able to infer other answers from these.

If you can recommend any C678 docs that are more in depth than the CBOS 2.4
User's Guide, I'll look at them.

Thanks for the help, this is very cool.  And I knew you could do more than the
Qwest web site said.