[CLUE-Tech] [OT] DSL - multiple IPs.

Frank Whiteley techzone at greeleynet.com
Wed Dec 5 12:56:57 MST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Price" <davep at kinaole.org>
To: <clue-tech at clue.denver.co.us>
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2001 10:51 AM
Subject: Re: [CLUE-Tech] [OT] DSL - multiple IPs.

> On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 09:39:02AM -0700, Dave Anselmi wrote:
> >
> > Anyone know how to use the static IPs and a natted private subnet at the
> > same time?  Seems that the Cisco routers can handle that but if anyone
> > has a working config it would be nice to know.
> >
> I do that here, but i do not use NAT on the cisco router, i have a linux
> box behind it (using one of the statics) which does the NAT; other linux
> boxes have static IP's on the same physical LAN.
>
> BTW, the box that does the NAT only has one ethernet card and virtual
> addresses assigned to it ( i call this 'flat NAT' ).  The main advantage
> of doing it this way, is that i only need one hub/switch for everything;
> the subnetting is logical, not physical. Hey, it works. :-)

You need to use one port for NAT, say eth0, then use vip0, vip1, or vip2 for
your subnet.  The C675 will route through the static IP on the wan side.
You must set the wan0 port to the static IP in the C678, otherwise it will
not route both, this was not necessary in the C675.  Also, on some older
CBOS C675s you must disable the ability of the router to assign the static
IP to the eth0 port, otherwise the ISP DHCP assignment of the static IP will
overwrite your port assignment when it trains.

Sorry, I don't have the specific commands in front of me at the moment.  Let
me know if you need them.

Frank Whiteley