[CLUE-Tech] Adding Desktop Icon under Gnome

BOF bof at pcisys.net
Thu Dec 6 01:31:14 MST 2001

>Thus spoke David Willson
>
>>Is this a trick question?

No, it isn't. At the time I posed it, I could not find any mention of
how to put an icon on the desktop to launch a program:  the Gnome user's
guide is not installed under Slackware or FreeBSD, there are no
Gnome-specific USENET groups, and the link to the User Guide on the
Gnome site would not come up. I was desperate and so turned to CLUE.

And I am still having problems. Currently, the only way that I can get
an icon onto the desktop, as a user, is to create a launcher on the
panel and then drag it to the desktop, or, if the application is on the
menu, to drag it from the menu to the desktop. When I right-click on the
desktop, there is no choice for a launcher: I get a selection of "New
Window, New Folder, or New Terminal."

Even then, dragging from the panel does not always work. I have a
launcher for Netscape on the panel that works fine, but when dragged to
the desktop, it will not load the application, or do anything for that
matter.

I am also having trouble getting the icons I place on the desktop to
come up when Gnome starts. I can get them to show up by launching
Nautilus after Gnome loads, but when Gnome initially loads, the desktop
is blank.

After fiddling with Gnome for several days now, I am not very impressed
with it. Apparently the paradigm it expects its users to follow is not
the same as KDE or Windows. Either that, or I have a faulty installation
or have something configured wrong.

Which is always possible <g>.

BOF