[CLUE-Tech] [OT] DSL - multiple IPs.

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Thu Dec 6 14:55:54 MST 2001

Frank Whiteley wrote:

> Do you have five continguous static IPs or a static IP and a subnet block of
> four?  What netmask were you assigned?  The latter would seem to be the case
> if you are in routed, rather than bridged mode.

This would be routed (and ppp), not bridged.

We haven't actually bought the IP addresses yet, so I'm going off Qwest's info
pages.  They say they give you 8 IPs, 5 usable.  To me that means one net
address, one broadcast address, one for the modem (wan0-0).  That would make a
netmask of 255.255.255.248 - let me see what Qwest says...  Yes, they do mention
that mask.

So, we would have a subnet block of 8 addresses, I guess.  Apparently if we buy
the addresses, we'll get an email that tells us the 5 usable ones and a gateway
address.  The C678 is set up to be assigned an IP when it trains and that is the
eth0 IP since their directions disable NAT.  I'm betting the gateway address is
what will be assigned.

I'm pretty clear on what needs to happen, I think.  I could probably even set it
up in iptables.  But I'm not clear what a vip is on a C678, especially since it
can be inside or outside, so I'm not sure what commands to use.