[CLUE-Tech] Webmin Software

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Sun Dec 9 20:37:01 MST 2001

Kevin Cullis wrote:

> Anyone used this?
>
> KC
>
> http://www.webmin.com/

Heard of it.  Like any tool that makes system configuration more
accessible from the network, you have to be careful to be secure.  Don't
know how easy they make it to be secure - it looks like they add a layer
of authentication on top of the usual Unix users.  I don't consider that
a good thing (adding complexity makes it easier to mess up), but it may
not be bad, either.

If you read the O'Reilly samba book, it covers config by hand and with a
RH tool.  The RH tool doesn't provide all the options available though.
So webmin may not allow you to do everything that you want to (that
seems to be the case, at least as far as adding samba users).

But, I'm sure it's good in some environments.