[CLUE-Tech] Alpha questions

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at attbi.com
Thu Dec 13 17:08:18 MST 2001

Well, I'm trying to pretty much install anything on one of the Alphas from
the Alpha luv-fest. I'm a complete neophyte when it comes to Alphas, so I'm
trying to muddle my way through things. So far, I have not found a really
good overview of ARC/SRM/AlphaBIOS and such. Anyone have any good tips or
pointers to good docs?

At first, I was trying to install FreeBSD. The docs I found on FreeBSD and
Alpha refer to using SRM console, and typing "boot dka0" to boot install
from CD (and some other command for floppy install). Well, I can't figure
out how to get to that console, so the command is kind of moot right now.
I've tried to follow some directions about switching from AlphaBIOS to SRM.
It goes like this: hit F2 to go to setup.  Then go to CMOS setup from there.
Okay so far.  Then it says to select SRM from a dropdown. I don't see that.
Hmmm.

Okay, says I. I go to Digital's (well, Compaq) website and get firmware
update for AlphaStation 255 (v.7.0 of firmware) thinking that maybe SRM is
part of this, and I may be on track. I followed the directions for doing it
via FAT-formatted floppy - download this, call it fwupdate.exe, put on
top-level of disk, ie, a:\fwupdate.exe. I put disk in, and run what it says
to run for AlphaBIOS, and it doesn't find the firmware update utility. Does
"FAT-formatted" mean anything beyond your average DOS disk?

Pretty much I'm just trying to figure out how to launch an installer for
anything right now. FreeBSD is eventual goal, but I wouldn't mind trying
some Linux distros before that. But first I have to figure out how to get CD
or floppy to launch...that's pretty important to an install. :)

Any help at all appreciated....

Cheers,
--
Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at attbi.com Yahoo:seanleblancathome
ICQ:138565743 MSN:seanleblancathome AIM:sleblancathome