[CLUE-Tech] Alpha questions

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Thu Dec 13 19:48:20 MST 2001

I wondered when the questions would start...  Here's my experience so far:

Sean LeBlanc wrote:

> Well, I'm trying to pretty much install anything on one of the Alphas from
> the Alpha luv-fest. I'm a complete neophyte when it comes to Alphas, so I'm
> trying to muddle my way through things. So far, I have not found a really
> good overview of ARC/SRM/AlphaBIOS and such. Anyone have any good tips or
> pointers to good docs?

Docs seem pretty scarce.  The one thing referenced everywhere is the faq on
alphalinux.org which seems to be down.

> At first, I was trying to install FreeBSD. The docs I found on FreeBSD and
> Alpha refer to using SRM console, and typing "boot dka0" to boot install
> from CD (and some other command for floppy install).

We don't seem to have SRM.  AlphaBIOS or the other one (maybe ARC?)  Debian has
an install doc that says it supports the AS255, but I don't know how much it
covers about console mode stuff.

When I started my alpha up, it beeped at me.  Since I couldn't find any docs on
the beeps, I reset the cmos and it started working.  There's a switch block
inside and a lable on top of the CD that tells you what the switches do - so you
can use that to reset the cmos.  There's also a 'boot from floppy' option that
may be necessary to get started - if the ROM console doesn't have a way to do
that (didn't see it in the menu, don't know if it would detect a floppy).

I tried using the serial console to start.  As close as I got (with teraterm) was
to use a VT382 at 9600 8n1.  That was readable, but the key mappings are screwy
so it was awkward after that.  Better to use a monitor and keyboard.

So now I'm off to get some debian boot disks, more to follow.

Dave