[CLUE-Tech] Netscape email filters/rules for SPAM

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Sat Dec 15 09:54:07 MST 2001

On Sat, 15 Dec 2001 09:20:00 -0700
Kevin Cullis <kevincu at orci.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been inundated with SPAM these last few months and have stuggled
>
> Anyone have any others ideas that might help?

Is your ISP running MAPS/RBL filtering? How 'bout ORBZ filtering? I'd say
talk to the support folks. They might be willing to add some/all of your
spammers to their filtering.

The other thing to do is to complain about it, but to the right people.
I've had some success with this, for example with X10.com; a few
complaints to their ISP, they stopped spamming me. Another ISP I
complained to was accidentally operating an open relay, and fixed it.

You can use things like whois queries and traceroute to find the
legitimate ISPs and upstream providers. Just try to be certain you aren't
complaining directly, or indirectly, to the spammer, because that only
validates your addy in their database. That be tough to determine
sometimes.

Bottom line is, it's better to get at the source, than filter it out on
your end, if you can.

I haven't tried it, but I saw a package called Spam Assasin on freshmeat.
Might be worth looking at.

Regards,
jed

--
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men,
 undergo the fatigue of supporting it."