[CLUE-Tech] Netscape email filters/rules for SPAM

Charlie Oriez coriez at oriez.org
Mon Dec 17 06:14:33 MST 2001

On Sunday 16 December 2001 22:08, Dave Hahn gave up the right to
remain silent by saying:
> Another interesting side note is the 'Colorado Junk E-Mail Law'.  I
> need to look for the link that details the law, but, as an overall,
> it's written very much with the ultimate consumer in mind.  For
> instance, a corporation is only allowed to send you unsolicited
> e-mail if you 1) have current business dealings with them or have
> in the last 12 months oe 2) have given permission for them to

http://spamlaws.com/state/co.html

as to the 12 month provision, it is actually 13 or the length of a
warranty, but "the message from the sender [must] directly concern
the purchase or lease" of the goods and services that created the
business relationship.

The other interesting provision of the law is that you or an email
service provider can get an injunction against the spammer, even in
small claims courts.  This is one of only two laws in Colorado where
small claims is permitted to grant injunctions.  these injunctions
are probably more important than the monetary damages.

how many spammers are actually in Colorado though?  I've gone after
two - DISH networks and Melaluca.  Remember that if you sue in small
claims, you have to sue in a Colorado county where the spammer has a
business or personal presence.  I got hit by one spammer from Crested
Butte.  Hardly worth travelling out there to sue him.  It was far
more satisfying to let Crested Butte code enforcement know that
someone was running a business in a residential zone that included
shipping of product, in violation of their home business regs, and
let the Crested Butte tax folks know that he had forgotten to get a
sales tax license before going into business.

Charles Oriez, coriez at oriez.org
39  34' 34.4"N / 105 00' 06.3"W
**
"One Code to rule them all, one Code to bind them
In the land of Redmond where the Shadows lie" -  Joe Thomson, ASR.