[CLUE-Tech] Re: X on AlphaStation [WAS Debian install on alpha.]

rrarabie at attbi.com rrarabie at attbi.com
Mon Dec 17 09:06:53 MST 2001

> > Sean LeBlanc wrote:

>I'm also trying to get X 4.0 going, which
> is proving interesting. In the meantime, I'm trying out 3.x, to see if that
> works at all. Did you bother setting up X in Debian, or did you think the
> lack of disk space made it a bad idea?

I believe NetBSD is the only *NIX that supports the graphics cards shipped with Alphastation 255.  The doco on Compaq's  retired hardware site (http://www.compaq.com/alphaserver/workstations/retired/a255series.html) indicates that these all should have a PowerStorm 3D10, 3D30, or 4D20 card.

AFAIK, none of those are supported by any Linux for Alpha distro, and in the BSD world, only by NetBSD.

One very handy source of Alpha info I found is here:

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/dec-docs/index.html