[CLUE-Tech] Sys Admin security and user directory security

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Mon Dec 17 21:32:43 MST 2001

Kevin,

Hmm, this sounds like something of an intractable problem for the
average *nix system.  The sysadmin will need root, and root can read
anything on the hard drive.  Don't know any simple way around that.
With some *very* crafty use of groups, the admin could be given all the
privileges needed to update the system, without being root, *maybe*.
Perhaps some kind of ACL (access control list) stuff would be the best,
as provided by SELinux from the NSA or Trustix or something?  I have
never tried it either, but I bet it can be done with those type of
distros more naturally.

Tim