[CLUE-Tech] NAT'ing DSL recommendations?

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at attbi.com
Mon Dec 17 22:16:22 MST 2001

I have a non-techie friend who has DSL - they are buying a second computer,
and may want to have both networked. They have Qwest DSL, and so I don't
really know much about DSL, although I installed the PCI card for them and
set up networking on that (On windoze).

I imagine NAT'ing DSL is similar to the way I NAT cable modem (@Home), but
instead of two NICs, I have 1 NIC and 1 DSL "modem"? I'm thinking about what
to buy and/or put together to do this. Something with the least amount of
(my) intervention and maintenance as possible. Remember, I'm talking about
VERY non-techie folks.

Are there all-in-one units I could use for this? Or maybe get an older
Pentium with a Linux or *BSD floppy-only distro and NAT with that? I'm
thinking longest MTBF while keeping the $$$ relatively low...so I'd like to
avoid a HD if possible - with a floppy, just have a working backup, and put
that in, and voila, we're back in biz.

--
Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at attbi.com Yahoo:seanleblancathome
ICQ:138565743 MSN:seanleblancathome AIM:sleblancathome