[CLUE-Tech] What would you all make of this?

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Tue Dec 18 20:55:48 MST 2001

Dave Anselmi wrote:

> Kevin Cullis wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Here's the stats from my web site, which currently only has a holder
> > page on it, but here's the data from the web stats program:
> >
> > Time    Date    Month   Bytes   Hits    Bytes   Domain
> > 10:35:35        2       Dec     2001    2       21253   konserv.kalatehas.net
>
> <snip>
>
> Your columns are misaligned - there are 2 hits each time (mostly) and 21253 bytes transfered.  I don't
> know how the hits and bytes are related (seems that you have bytes in there twice, missing year).

Yea, I know, but I was quickly putting this together so I wanted to get
it out, I hoped that you all wouldn't mind a little bit of slop.

> > Have I been tried to be hacked, at least for the most part?
>
> Well, if you have a port open to the Internet, you've certainly been tried to be hacked.  It might be
> Code Red, it might be a port scan, it might be an exploit attempt against your web server software.  You
> need more info to tell who's doing what and whether they were successful (typically called an intrusion
> detection system).

Based on what everyone has said, I have gethered this. My ISP has a VERY
secure box so I'm not too worried about (he's a Linux GURU for sure). I
just was wondering from a user perspective.

> I could go on, and relate the above to risk management techniques, but your eyes are glazing over so
> I'll quit :-)

My eyes haven't glazed over, but my mind has since I don't know a whole
lot of this security stuff. ;-)

Thanks for the info.

Kevin